Pie’s Investor Series events around the country brought record numbers of attendees. What were some of the key takeaways from the investment team’s presentations?
1. The best investment ideas and opportunities can come from commonsense - thinking about things like what’s popular at the time, what are current themes, and what companies within these themes are, or could experience, growth in the future. One example of this was bikes, and how popular they became during Covid. In fact, there’s still a global shortage for parts.
2. Great ideas are simple ideas. If it’s complicated, it’s harder to get people to understand, and it’s hard to build the story or build the investment case.
3. Central banks actions often control the direction of the market. They control the money supply and they control the interest rates. And if you know what they’re doing and you listen to what they’re saying, you have a good determination of where markets are going.
4. Recoveries happen slowly. There isn’t a rush to be back in there on day 1. Wait and see what the central banks are doing to determine how you invest.
5. Corrections are regular, and they’re actually good. For those who have been with Pie for a number of years, you will have experienced that our best performance tends to come right after a correction. Because there’s a big shake up, and this brings more opportunities.
Information is current as at April 2021. Pie Funds Management Limited is the manager of the funds in the Pie Funds Management Scheme. Any advice is given by Pie Funds Management Limited and is general only. Our advice relates only to the specific financial products mentioned and does not account?for personal circumstances or financial goals. Please see a financial adviser for tailored advice.?You may have to pay product or other fees, like brokerage, if you act on any advice.?As manager of the Pie Funds Management Scheme investment funds, we receive fees determined by your balance and we benefit financially if you invest in our products.?We manage this conflict of interest via an internal?compliance framework designed?to help us meet our duties to you.?For information about how we can help you, our duties and complaint process and how disputes can be resolved, or to see our product disclosure statement, please visit www.piefunds.co.nz. Please let us know if you would like a hard copy of this disclosure information.